Home Car Accidents

Connecticut Car Accident Attorney

Being in a car accident can be a life-changing experience. If you are seriously injured in a car accident, it can take years or a life time to recover. Work with an experienced Car Accident Attorney attorney at Naizby Law to ensure you the compensation you deserve for your injury.

What Should I Do If I Get in a Car Accident?

If you are in a car accident, the first thing you should do is pull your vehicle over to the side of the road if you can, so that you do not get hit by another driver. Next make sure you call the police and other emergency workers; call 911. Then you should check to see if anyone is seriously injured. Do not try to move an injured person unless they are in immediate risk of harm, for instance, if their vehicle is on fire. Next, you should take photographs of the accident scene and wait for the police to come. Do not leave the accident until the police tell you you can leave.

After you get in an accident, do not talk to any representatives from the other person's insurance company. Insurance adjusters' salaries are contingent on making sure you have a lower recovery and any information you give them will be used with that goal in mind. Your job is to get medical treatment and get better. We at Naizby Law never want our clients to get unnecessary treatment. However, if you are experiencing pain and you do not go to a medical provider to document that pain, the insurance company will take the position that you were not injured in the accident. It is important that if you get appropriate treatment both for your own health and to demonstrate to the insurance company, and to the jury, that you in fact were harmed in the accident.

Who Will Compensate Me for My Injuries and Losses?

Different types of vehicles are on the road today, including Uber/Rideshare programs, commercial vehicles, and semi-tractor trailers. In large truck accidents, it is usually the passenger vehicle occupants who suffer the most serious injuries, and these cases often involve more than one potentially responsible party.

Pedestrians and bicyclists are also involved in accidents with motor vehicles. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that pedestrians, bicyclists, and other non-occupants accounted for 18% of the nation's traffic fatalities in 2015. Accidents can occur when right-of-way is violated, either by the motorist, pedestrian, or bicyclist.

Like most states in the U.S., Connecticut is a "fault" insurance state. When it comes to the question of who pays for damages in a car accident claim, our state follows a fault-based system. Approximately a dozen other states, including Massachusetts, follow a "no-fault" system in which motorists rely on their own insurance companies to cover their losses, regardless of who caused the accident.

Drivers, passengers, pedestrians, and bicyclists involved in a traffic crash in Connecticut have several options to recover compensation for their losses when the accident was someone else's fault:

  • File a claim with their own insurance carrier, which will, in turn, seek reimbursement from the at-fault party and/or that party's insurance company;
  • File a third-party claim directly with the insurance carrier of the at-fault party; or
  • File a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault party in court.

Under state law, auto insurance companies are required to offer motorists minimum coverage amounts:

  • $20,000 if only one person is injured or killed in a traffic crash;
  • $40,000 per accident if more than one person is hurt or killed;
  • $10,000 per accident for property damage;
  • $40,000 total per accident and $20,000 per person in uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage.

These numbers are the total amounts insurance companies will pay for drivers who have policies with minimum coverage. Drivers can purchase policies with higher limits, but it is not required under the law.

Unfortunately, although the law requires it, some drivers fail to meet the state's financial responsibility requirement and have no auto insurance coverage at all. In other cases, the at-fault driver has the minimum required insurance coverage, but the policy limits are insufficient to cover your losses. If you are involved in an accident caused by such a driver, you can file a claim under your own insurance policy's uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage.

What Is Recoverable?

Connecticut permits victims of negligent driving to recovery compensation for lost wages and earning capacity, medical expenses, physical and emotional pain. We at Naizby Law will make sure you have the tools you need to demonstrate to the insurance company and the jury, if the case goes to trial, the extent of injury and ensure you get the recovery you deserve.

In Connecticut, in order to recover for your injuries suffered in an accident, you need to be able to prove that you were not a greater cause of the negligence than the other party or parties combined and that your monetary recovery will be reduced by your percentage of fault, if any (Connecticut General Statutes Section 52-572h).

It is very important to secure evidence early on so you have the best chance of establishing who the responsible parties are.

We will investigate the circumstances surrounding your crash and secure evidence so that you will be treated fairly for your loss or injury resulting from the accident. We have former police officers available to act as investigators and accident re-constructionists.

If you are injured in a motor vehicle accident, what you don't know can hurt you. It is important to seek the appropriated medical attention as soon possible after a collision.

You could be faced with an obvious injury, such as broken bones, or damage to your nerve structure or spinal cord, resulting in paralysis. Often, if you have suffered what is typically referred to as "soft tissue injuries" - meaning you have not broken any bones, but have suffered injuries to the muscles or ligaments, including tearing and stretching - you will feel worse days following the accident as opposed to at the scene of the accident.

If you experience any type of numbness or tingling in either your arms or legs you should seek medical attention immediately as this could be a sign of a disc herniation, which could lead to more permanent damage if not diagnosed and assessed as soon as possible.

The laws governing the operation of a motor vehicle in the state of Connecticut can be found here: Connecticut Motor Vehicle Statutes

Our Difference

We at Naizby Law represent individuals injured in automobile accidents throughout Connecticut, New York and Florida. Even if you're not a "local", we can handle cases from other states when injury was done during a visit or traveling through.

We are a Board-Certified Trial Law Firm; we strive to get a fair pretrial resolution for you, but have tried numerous cases to conclusion on behalf of our clients. We find that the insurance carrier's recognition of our ability to handle cases all the way through trial benefits our clients. Call our Connecticut personal injury lawyers today to discuss your options at (866) 284-3578.

Additional Information

Car Accidents

Have you or a loved one been injured due to someone’s
negligence and want to seek compensation?

Contact Naizby Law at (203) 245-8500

About John Naizby

“People have the right to be treated fairly for their losses, and we intend to ensure that happens.”
- John Naizby

For over 20 years, John has exclusively represented people (not insurance companies).

John has received the America’s Top 100 Attorneys Lifetime Achievement Award.

Since the year 2000, John has been a Board Certified Civil Lawyer.

John is a graduate and senior instructor at the Trial Lawyers College.

Read Full Bio

Office Locations

Madison Office
584 Boston Post Rd. Madison, CT 06443
Phone: (203) 245-8500 • Fax: (203) 245-8505
Map & Directions

2827 Old Dixwell Ave, Hamden, CT 06518
Phone: (203) 288-8500 • Fax: (203) 245-8505
Map & Directions

North Haven
1957 Whitney Ave, North Haven, CT 06473
Phone: (203) 248-8500 • Fax: (203) 245-8505
Map & Directions